It is a lightweight snack, which is basically an origin of the North India. However, in various parts of India, it is called by various names- Aloo Poha, Batata Poha and others. This is a Maharashtrian snack, which can be served in breakfast or at brunch. The dish is a tasty and a complete meal in itself. When you have guests coming at your place, this is one of the quickest and tastiest snacks that can be prepared.Therefore, to give you a complete trick of how to make Poha, below we provide the recipe for it.
|Prep Time: 10 Mins||Cooking Time: 15 Mins||Servings: 4 to 5|
Ingredients for Poha
- Poha- 2 cups (Flattened Rice)
- Desi ghee- 1 tablespoon ( Clarified butter)
- Green peas- 1 cup
- Peanuts- ½ cup
- Potatoes Finely chopped 1
- Onions Finely chopped 1
- Cumin seeds- ½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala- ½ teaspoon
- Haldi powder- ½ teaspoon
- Chili powder- ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 4
- Sugar- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- To Taste
- Milk- 1 tablespoon
- Lemon- 1/2
Optional Ingredients: Grated coconuts / Cashew- 5-6 / Raisins (किशमिश) -7-8
Process to make Poha
Step 1: First of take 2 cups of poha (Flattened Rice), in a bowl. Clean and sieve the poha to make it dirt free. The soak the cleaned poha in the water.
Step 2: Wash the poha under a running tap and mesh with your fingers.
Step 3: Then keep it aside with the excess water flow out. Then add spoonful milk to the poha and mix it with light hands. Adding one tablespoon of milk makes it soft.
Step 4: Take a pan and keep it to heat, with one tablespoon Clarified butter (desi ghee) into it.
Step 5: Now add ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds and when they start to crackle, add ½ Cumin seeds (jeera).Next, add 4 curry leaves to the pan and fry.
Step 6: Then add the other spices- ½ chili powder, one teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon garam masala, ½ teaspoon Haldi powder and salt as per taste.
Step 7: After the spices get mixed, add one chopped onion to the pan and sauté until they turn light golden brown.
Step 8: Then add 1 cup green peas to the onions and mix until they become soft. Next,add ½ cup of peanuts to the pan and let them fry.
Step 10: Add the one chopped potatoes to the pan and mix it well. Cover the lid and leave the gas on a medium flame for about 5 minutes.
Step 12: After the potatoes are cooked properly add the poha into the pan and mix it well to get an even distribution of the spices.
Step 13: Add one teaspoon sugar to the mixture and mix it well.Then Squeeze half lemon to the complete mixture and mix well.
Now your Healthy and Tasty Poha is ready to serve.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of peanuts, you can also add cashew to the mixture or also use both of them. Just remember the cashew should be finely chopped or you can put than by breaking them into half.
- Instead of the sugar, you can use raisins to the mixture to add the sweet touch to Poha.
- Remember the Recipe need not to be too spicy. It has to be subtle. The perfect sweet cum salty.
- Also, keep in mind that the dish gets cooked very quickly and you need to be careful to not burn anything. Lower the flame if the things start cooking too quickly.
This brings to the Poha recipe to an end. You can serve delicious poha during the breakfast or brunch hours and enjoy lightweight food with tea. Serve the delicious snack during the monsoon and enjoy the season!Learn How to Make Kulfi at Home