Indian cuisines are all about spices, sugars, sour a Chattpata taste. Isn’t it? Well, not just this, Indian cuisine always have layers in their menu. These layers include starters, main course, side dishes and sweet dishes. Well, the side dishes too have their sub categories. They may be papad, curd, raita, or salads and what not! Well, if you are now tired of buying them from the market and would like to experiment some of your own, Papad is one such dish which is very easy and tasty to make.
The ingredients that papad requires are very common and is available in every household. The only requirement is time. The papad requires about a day to be made. Since the process is very easy but the time required to dry them out is long.
Papadum is also popularly known as papad. It is of varied kinds. Aaloo papad, Rice papad, Sabudana papad, and dal papa. Today we will be making dal papadum. Urad dal papad is a light and healthy snack to be served along with the dishes.
|Prep Time: 1 Day||Cooking Time: 20 Mins||Servings: 5 to 6|
Ingredients for Papadum
- Urad dal: 2 cups
- Ground pepper: 1 teapsoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Water: 2 to 3 cups
For Deep frying
- Oil: 2 tablespoon
For Masala Papadum
- Tomatoes: 2
- Onions: 2
- Green Chilies: 2 to 3
Equipment and Vessels Required
- A large bowl
- Microwave Oven (If you are roasting the papadum)
- Mixer Grinder.
Process of making Papadum
Clean and wash 2 cups of Urad dal. Leave it to dry.
After the lentils have dried out, put them in a mixer grinder. Grind it until it becomes powder-like (If the urad dal is wet, it might turn out to be a paste, but that is not an issue). Your urad dal flour is ready.
Keep the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon ground pepper, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds into the bowl.Slowly add water into the dough to bind it together.
Mix them well and knead them into a dough. (The reason your paste-like urad flour is not an issue since at the end you have to make a dough)
You have to be sure that the dough is smooth and a little bit tight. If unable to make a smooth paste using hands, you can use a wooden spatula to remove the lumps.
After your dough is ready, make around 10 balls.
Now use a rolling pin and flatten the ball. Roll it back and forth until the spread is thin and smooth.
Do not worry about the shape of the papadum. Use a round bowl or round cutter to cut the batter in a proper round shape.
This step is totally optional if you want you can sprinkle a little more spice in the papadum. Add a bit of red chili powder, and chat masala if you like to.Now cut papad out of the rest of the balls and remaining dough.
After all your papadum are prepared, leave them to dry in the sun. If not sun you can always keep them too dry under the fan. (Though this process may take a while, the papadum will dry out)
After a day your papadum will dry and are ready to be roasted or deep fried.
Once the Papadum is ready you can use in different styles deep fry the papadum, roast the papadum or else you can make Masala Papad.
For Deep Frying:
- Heat two to three tablespoon of oil.
- After the oil is hot, put one papadum at a time in the pan and deep fry them.
- You can roast the papadum in many ways.
- First, is using the gas stove, take one papadum with a tong, and roast it on the medium gas.
- Second is in the microwave oven. Set the microwave oven at 30 secs and your papadum will be roasted.
For Masala Papad:
- For masala papad, you require to 2 tomatoes, 2 onions, and 2 to 3 green chilies and chop them finely.
- After you have roasted or deep fried your papad, add a layer of the chopped tomatoes, onions, and chilies on the papad.
- Sprinkle a pinch or two pinches of salt on the layer.
- Your masala papad is ready to be served.
Tips and Variations
- You can also only sieve and clean the urad dal to get a powdered flour.
- You can also add refined oil in the mixture to make the dough smooth.
Health Benefits Of Papadum
Papadum is very light weight snack and can be eaten with the main course and also solo. For solo, you can add a number of green veggies and healthy eatables on the papadum. Urad dal is very beneficial for enhancing the level of protein in your body and it is rich in protein.