Foodies love to try out new dishes every now and then. They will never say never of different categories of food- be it the main course, desserts, dies dishes or snacks! One thing out of these that are like an “anytime” eatery and that is Snacks!
Now trying out something new need proper guidance or sometimes a recipe. So, in order to provide you a helping hand we provide you on how to make nankhatai. This quick and easy recipe will allow you create a great dish at your home in your kitchen.
|Prep Time: 15 Mins||Cooking Time: 25 Mins||Servings: 10|
Note: The ingredients used in the recipe is given below. It is requested to go through the recipe of Nan khatai.
Let’s start making Nankhatai
First we need to make nankhatai mixture:
Step 1: Powder the ⅔ cup sugar finely in a grinder.
Step 2: Next, Cream the ghee and powdered sugar with an electric mixer or blender. you can also cream in a food processor, the mixture should become smooth, light and creamy.
Step 3: Sift the following dry ingredients – 1 cup maida or all purpose flour, ½ cup of gram flour/besan, 1 tsp of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of baking soda.keep the sifted dry ingredients aside.
Step 4: Add curd/yogurt to the creamed ghee and sugar mixture and mix it nicely.
Step 5: Then add the sifted dry ingredients. Also add 2 tablespoon of sooji/rava/cream wheat, ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder and ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg powder. Gently mix everything. Remember you do not knead the batter. just mix and gather to a smooth dough.
Suggestion : if the mixture is too crumbly and you cannot bring together to a dough, then add 1 to 3 tbsp of milk. mix lightly and bring the mixture to a dough.
Step 6: Pinch medium sized balls from the dough and roll them evenly in your palms. slightly flatten them.
Step 7: Press chironji or almonds on the top lightly.you can also make some criss cross designs on the nankhatais with a fork or toothpick.
Now It’s time for baking nankhatai:
Step 1: Place the nankhatais in a baking tray.Keep some space between them as they expand while baking.
Step 2: Bake the nankhatai in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 20-25 mins till light golden.
Step 3: Remove and place nankhatai on wire racks, so that they cool down.When cooled, store the nankhatai in an airtight container.
Let’s see Detail list what you need to cook Nankhatai
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- ¼ cup gram flour (besan)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon sooji
- ⅛ nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ cup ghee or unsalted butter at room temperature
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon curd or yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoon milk
- 10 pistachios
- few almonds or charoli
Tips and Variations:
- As the temperatures vary in different oven models, keep an eye while baking.
- If the nankhatais are not baked enough then bake them for some more minutes.
- Ensure you don’t over bake them. When you see the edges are lightly browned that mean’s the cookies are baked.
- If you are using salted butter, do not add salt with dry ingredients. If you are using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt with dry ingredients.
- Take butter out from refrigerator 30 minutes before starting.
- You can also microwave the refrigerated butter for 5 seconds. Do not microwave for longer than 5 seconds to prevent it from melting completely as this recipe requires soft unmelted butter.
- If you are using ghee instead of butter, it should have semi solid consistency.
Festivals Seson is on! And this festival you can also try out this recipe of Nankhatai. As it is said that the festivals are always celebrated with delight and lot of mouthwatering dishes. Therefore, instead of buying snacks from the shops, which might have a lot of preservatives or might be stale you can try out making them at your home. The homemade touch adds a lot of care and love to the dish and makes it all the more special. Isn’t it?