Lemon Rice Recipe
There are a lot of times that you are running late for you work, and yet to cook lunch or prepare breakfast. You always are in a need of some quick and easy recipes. Recipes of dishes that are not only easy to cook but healthy and satisfy your hunger.Lemon Rice is one of them.Lemon Rice is a south Indian cuisine it is also Know as Pulihora.
|Prep Time: 1 Hour||Cooking Time: 20 Mins||Servings: 2 to 3|
Ingredients for Lemon Rice
- Rice: 1 cup
- Urad dal: 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal: 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: ¼ cup (About 2 lemons)
- Cashew: 10
- Peanuts: ½ cup
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida: ¼ teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (Or to taste)
- Curry leaves: 4 to 5
- Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon
- Green Chilies: 4
- Raisins: Handful
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
Process of Cooking Lemon Rice
First take one bowl rice. Clean and wash it nicely. Then soak it water in a bowl and keep it aside.
After 20 minutes, when the rice is completely soaked, take the rice and fall of the water. Add fresh and clean water into the bowl and pour it into the pressure cooker. On a medium flame let the whistle blow once and then switch off the flame.
Keep the rice in a bowl and once stir it using a spoon, in order to keep all the grains separated and not getting stuck.
Instead of cooking rice, you can also use the left-over rice. All that you need to do is, sprinkle some water into the rice. Either heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave or you can heat a pan and pour the rice into it and fry them. Do not completely fry it. This step is done only to make sure that the rice grains are separated and not sticky.
After your rice is ready, take a pan and heat one teaspoon of oil into it.Add ½ cup peanuts and 10 pieces of cashew.Fry them, until the cashew turns light brown. After frying, keep them aside.
In the same pan again take one tablespoon of oil, and on a medium flame, pour ½ teaspoon of sesame seeds.When the sesame seeds start to crackle, add ¼ teaspoon of asafetida into it.Add 1 teaspoon of urad dal and 1 teaspoon of chana dal into the pan. Fry them until they turn golden brown in color.Then add 1 teaspoon of red chili powder, 4 green chilies and 4 to 5 curry leaves. Stir them well.Then add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon salt into the pan. Stir them well.
Pour the rice into the pan and mix well. After the rice has been completely mixed, add the cashew and peanuts into the pan.Then add about ¼ cup of lemon juice into the mixture.Mix the ingredients well.
After about 15 minutes of stirring and frying, add some raisins into the pan.
The lemon rice is ready to be served.
Lemon rice, might at once seem to you to similar to Chinese cuisine, fried rice. However, this is not so. Except the rice, there is a fast difference in the use of spices and other ingredients in the making of lemon rice. As the name suggests, lemon rice is an amalgamation of lemon and steamed rice, perfectly blended with light spices.
Whenever you are in a mood to eat something tasty and easy to cook, you can always prefer lemon rice. The dry fruits and spices used in the dish provides you amazing and delicious taste.
The light spices and steamed rice makes lemon rice as one of the most relished snacks in the Indian menu. Most preferred to be served with the typical south Indian coconut chutney, the dish can also be relished with curd., masala, pickle, and raita as well.
One of the easiest dished to be cooked when you are running late for work or for your child’s school. The best part is that this lemon rice recipe not only makes you satisfy your hunger but can also be made as a snack, and served in front of guests as well.
Learn How to make Rice Pongal
Tips and Variations:
- You can avoid using cashew, raisins in the lemon rice. Instead you can also add finely chopped makhanas and freshly grated coconut also.
- You can also for once avoid using roasted dry fruits and can also add them on the top of the rice after everything is prepared.
- Instead of using the typical refined oil, you can also use olive oil. It might sound weird but Lemon rice is one of the few exceptional Indian dishes that goes well when cooked with Olive oil.
- According to your taste you can increase and decrease the quantity of lemon juice.
- Sprinkle namkeem from above to give the snack a different taste.
- South Indian dishes have been seeking great popularity in the whole of India. There are a lot of people that are making south Indian dishes in their kitchen or having them in the restaurants. Well, like this they are now becoming a popular household name. One of them is the Lemon Rice.
The lemon rice is one such dish that is rich in carbohydrates. This one is a very light weight and healthy recipes. The use of dry fruits and lentils keep you energetic and the dish is rich in proteins as well. Lemon is one ingredient that cures many diseases. One of the major and most common is low blood pressure. The lemon rice will help you maintain that as well. Also, the spices used in the dish are very light and therefore, it is preferred for kids and old people of the house as well.