Dal Baati Churma Recipe
It is Sweet and spicy is a rare combination, but one famous dish of Rajasthan makes it possible for anyone to enjoy it. It is non other than Dal Baati Churma, the perfect dish for lunch or dinner. A heavy fulfilling dish which creates and leave a wonderful combination of flavor both sweet and spicy at once.
|Prep Time: 25 Mins||Cooking Time: 1 Hour||Servings: 3 to 4|
Ingredients for churma
- coarse wheat flour 1 CUP ( Jada gehun ka atta)
- semolina ¼ cup ( rava)
- melted ghee 4 tablespoon.
- badam 2 tablespoon (almond)
- cardamon powder ¼ tablespoon ( elachi)
- powdered sugar 5 tablespoon
- Ghee for deep frying.
Process of making churma
Mix flour, melted ghee and semolina (सूजी) in a bowl together with a mixing spoon.
Take a ¼ glass of water and keep adding it to the flour while kneading it till it the dough has been properly formed. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts.
Take the dough and shape it into a globe and then press the centre of the dough to make a dent in it. Do the same with all the 8 portions.
Add ghee into a non-stick pan and heat it. Once the ghee is hot, deep fry these pieces individually on a slow flame. Once it has cooked remove it and let it cool on a napkin.
The cooked dough has to be crushed into churma in a mixture. So break the fried dough into smaller pieces and put it in the mixture bowl. Blend it till the small pieces have transformed into fine powder and add some almonds, cardamon powder and a little sugar in it for flavor and mix it well.
Ingredients for dal
- Channa Dal 5 tablespoon ( split Bengal gram)
- pigeon pea 5 tablespoon ( toovar dal)
- split green gram 5 tablespoon (GREEN MOONG DAL)
- split black lentils 1 tablespoon (urad dal)
- Salt to taste.
- Ghee 3 tablespoon.
- cloves 3 ( laung)
- bayleaves 2 ( tejpatta)
- cumin seeds 1 tablespoon ( jeera)
- green chillies 2.
- A pinch of asafoetida( Hing)
- garlic paste 1- tablespoon (lasun)
- finely chopped onions 1- cup.
- finely chopped tomatoes 1 cup.
- coriander powder 1 tablespoon ( dhania)
- turmeric powder ½ tablespoon ( Haldi)
- Red chili powder 1 tablespoon.
- garam masala ½ tablespoon.
- finely chopped coriander leaves 1 tablespoon ( dhania)
Process of making Dal
Take 4 cups of water and dal into a pressure cooker. Make sure that you add salt in it and mix it properly.
Once everything is mixed put the lid on and let it cook till 3 whistles of the pressure cooker are blown, before opening the lid make sure that all the steam has escaped.
Take a deep nonstick cooking pan and add ghee into it.Once the ghee has heated start adding all the ingredients for the masala in the following order: cloves, bay leaves, cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida.
Saute the masala mixture for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame till you can smell the aroma of it. Once the cumin seeds start crackling, add garlic paste along with onions and cook it 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the mixture and mix it well constantly so it does not burn or stick to the pan.
Add the remaining ingredients that are the tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala. Cook it on a medium flame while mixing it by stirring at intervals.
Once everything has mixed well, pour the cooked dal along with the water in the pan.Cook it on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes and stir it to mix it with the masala properly. Garnish it with coriander leaves and leave it aside.
Ingredients for Baati
- 1 cup- coarse wheat flour( jada gehun ka aata)
- ½ cup- semolina( rava)
- 2 tablespoon- Bengal gram flour( besan)
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoon- melted ghee.
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds( saunf)
- ¼ tablespoon- carom seeds ( ajwain)
- Salt to taste
- Ghee for deep frying.
Process of making baati
Take a deep bowl and add all the flours in it. Knead it into a semi stiff dough. Do not pour water in it When the dough is ready, separate it into 8 equal portions and shape it into the even sized round.
Make a small dent in the baati using your thumb after evenly flattening it. Take a non-stick kadhai and boil water in it, once the water has boiled add all the baatis in it.
Cook it on a high flame for 15 minutes, while stirring the baatis at regular intervals. After 15 minutes, drain the baatis and keep it aside to cool.
In a deep frying pan, add ghee in it and heat it. Once the ghee is ready, add 4 baatis at a time in the ghee and fry it till they have turned golden brown.
Fry the remaining baatis in batches of 4 and keep it aside to cool on a napkin or an absorbent paper.
For Garnishing for Dal Baati Churma
- 4 tablespoon- melted ghee
- 8 tablespoon- finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoon –lemon juice.
Serve the Baati with churma and Dal
Dal Baati Churma is Prestigious Rajasthani dish is now famous all over the country. Made out of the items fond in every household, the extraordinary dish will not fail to leave you satisfied and full!
Enjoy the Rajasthani delicacy Dal Baati Churma.
Also Read Lachha paratha